Raptors: A letter to the worst coach in the NBA

By @RyanGrosman
Laced
May 3, 2017

Dear Dwane.

Can I call you Dwane? There are a lot of other names I'd love to call you. Stubborn comes to mind. So do names that would make Louis C.K. blush. I'll just stick with Dwane.

I hope this reaches you before game 2 vs. the Cavs. Because I have some much-needed advice for you.

Now I can't profess to know as much about basketball as you do. Not even close.

I've watched the NBA since the early 90s. And I’ve followed the Raptors since that fateful day on November 3, 1995. So I've seen some shit.

But you’ve played...well you played college ball. You have a ring coaching with Dallas. And you've been coaching longer than I've been sucking air.

However, it's stupid shit like continuing to start JV, among a zillion other things, that makes me think you don't know all that much. 

Like coaching 101 stuff.

If you didn’t get it by now, I ran out of patience with you long ago. If it was up to me, your head would’ve rolled long before losing game 7 to the Nets after being up 3-2. The series shouldn’t even have been close.

Don’t get me started on that Washington series.

You’re like a cockroach. Sorry, let me explain. They say cockroaches can survive anything – even a nuclear holocaust. Somehow you just keep on surviving. How you’re the 4th most tenured coach in this league is beyond me.

You say you want your players to play well at 7pm, not 7:15. Well then maybe start the right fucking players at 7 instead of subbing them in at 7:15 when you're already down by 15. Defence is going to win you this series. 

Speaking of defence, how the fuck was every Pacers-Cavs game close when the Pacers don't have our defence? Ujiri has gifted you some of the best defenders in the league – Ibaka, Tucker, 2Pat. Yet you somehow get blown to shit in game 1. It's like you didn't have 3 whole days to prepare. 

What was your strategy? Plan of attack? Did you even have one? Maybe I should define “plan” for you since you clearly don’t know what it means.

Now, I’m well aware it's an almost impossible task you’ve been given. As long as James is breathing, this Cavs team ain’t losing.

But you don't have to get embarrassed, and yes “dominated,” like you did in game 1 this year and 4 out of 6 games last year. And don't expect the Cavs to gift you 2 games at home again this year. They now know the value of rest. 

So, if you actually want to make this a close series – because all signs tell me you don’t – this is how you should play the Cavs:

1.     No JV. Not one more second. Pretend he's dead. His ass is stapled to the bench for the rest of the series. He's too slow and too dumb for this series. And he's not out-working Thompson. No way. Nor can he stop him. He doesn't provide any help defence. Actually, because he's so fucking awful, his teammates are the ones bailing him out, leaving their guy wide open for 3.

2.     You start Powell. He's one of your best 2-way players. He's another ball handler who can actually handle the ball (unlike DeRozan). He’s a slasher. He can get to the line. He can hit 3s. He can cause problems for James on offense and defence. And he’s saved your ass time and time again.

3.     You start Tucker. Not Carroll. Tucker. Defence wins playoff games. I don't care that Carroll was the big free agent signing 2 years ago. That’s Ujiri’s problem, not yours. He's not cutting it on offense or defence. Tucker is your James stopper.

4.     Play your young guys, Poeltl and Wright. Yes, I know. They're not vets, so that means they can't help you, right? Wrong. They give you energy and much-needed athleticism. Wright offers ball movement, as well as length and defence, which leads to steals. Steals lead to fast breaks. Fast breaks lead to baskets. Sorry, kind of went all Yoda there, but you get the point. And Poeltl has already surpassed your supposed experienced vet, JV, in usefulness. He can move his feet, get rebounds and score in the paint – all without pump-faking 10 times. He can guard stretch bigs like Love and Frye. Think what Kidd did with his rookies. If it were up to you, Brogdon and Maker would’ve never seen the floor. Kidd doesn’t care if you’ve played 1 year or 20. If you were drafted 5th or 46th. If you can help the team win, you’re in. 

5.     Make James a jump shooter. Not an easy task, I know. Guard him tough, but don't double him. Doubling him means there’s a 3-point sniper open somewhere. Easier said than done because Cleveland will set screens to get shooters open. And, well, he’s James. Raps will have to switch on screens. I don't care who has to guard these 3-point shooters. Just cover them. It’s when James gets others involved that he's most dangerous. 

6.     Forget the offensive rebounds. You're not winning that battle. Just concede them. What you don't want to concede is a fast break the other way. That's playing right into the Cavs’ hands. Send one guy for the rebound and the other 4 back on defence. Like as soon as the shot is released. No watching. No trying to get position your players can't get anyway. Just run back. Trust me. You’ll thank me later.

7.     Use your timeouts wisely. As soon as you smell any sort of Cavs momentum, call a timeout. History tells me you wait too long. Actually, waiting too long is a theme of yours. Don’t wait too long.

8.     Finally, MOVE THE F’N BALL. No more hero ball. I saw you do it in game 5 vs. Bucks. It can be done. It's how you avoid traps and a stagnant offense. Every time your team sees any sort of pressure, it’s hero ball. It’s like the worse default setting in the world. If a player doesn’t want to move the ball, find one who will. I don't care if their initials are DD or how many all-star appearances they have. It doesn't mean shit when you’re down 30 points. It's about winning, not making your players happy. Just ask Pop. You know what, never mind. You don't deserve to be in the same area code (or zip code) as him. 

Like I said before, I don’t know as much as you. I don’t have the experience. I’m not with this team on a daily basis. And I don’t have the insights or access to the numbers you do. I'm just using my eyes and my brain to give you this much-needed advice.

I hope you listen. Or you can continue to get embarrassed. It’s up to you.

Sincerely,

Ryan Grosman

Comments